Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Author Photography by Jane posted on 10:19 PM in , ,

Cathryn & Des - Silverstream Retreat Wedding, March 1st 2014

I'd been looking forward to this wedding for a while.


When I first met these guys, they told me a little bit about how they came to be together.  They went to the same primary school, but didn't know each other... zoom ahead a few years and they came to be flatting together.  Things progressed from there, and next thing you know they're engaged and have bought a house next door to her parents (makes me want to say something about the girl next door!) 

During their engagement session Cathryn told me a few hilarious stories about Des and some dishes.... I won't elaborate.. so I don't embarrass Des, but I think that might have been the start of his irresistable charms!

While we were first talking weddings and phoos, they told me they had some concerns about having photos taken, and that they didn't feel completely comfortable in front of the camera.  I hear this a lot!  And most people are pleasantly surprised once they see some photos.  This is the main reason I do an engagement session - you really want to be ironing out any concerns or issues before your wedding day! And it's just an excuse for some more nice photos!  They liked quite a few of them, so that was great.

Anyway... on to the wedding!  Cathryn and Des are the most awsome couple - they just have this super loving, devoted and patient energy between them.  They're NICE to each other.. and everyone around them!  Cathryn is also beautiful - inside and out.  She's one of those people that makes me want to take her gifts!  She ended up with homemade passionfruit melting moments.  I don't make those for just anyone!  When I suggested a blog post on her gorgeous day, she said she'd love it.. even if just for her Mum.  Bless.  That's the kind of daughter I want!

Her parents are the same - they tried to feed us (my trusty assistand husband Sam and I) many times and had everyone well looked after.  The atmosphere at her childhood home was relaxed and fun and this really shows through in the photos.  Her Mum was amazingly organised and in perfectionist mode with the dresses - just what you need - and her Dad couldn't stop smiling.  I could tell this was a big day for them!  

I love this shot of Cathryn and her sister Nicky just casually chatting.  I have photographed Nicky and her family a couple of times now - look out for Nicky's adorabale son coming up!



The dress.  Oh, the dress.  I couldn't wait to see this on..

And the flowers!  I'm a sucker for Gerberas.  The bridesmaids all had a different colour bouquet, and Cathryn's was a mixture of all the colours.  What a great idea!



 Mum having a wee moment while looking at the flowers.  That's Cathryn's Nana's brooch in her bouquet.


Gorgeous trio of rings!  Cathryn's engagement ring deserves a photo of it's own.  I love it!

Cathryn has had her hair done by the same hairdresser since she was 6.  That's a pretty special job for a hairdresser!

 Dad and daughter... some lighthearted trivia while preparations are underway!

I love a good Dad.  That really doesn't sound right.  But Cathryn's Dad is cool!!  Actually her whole family is cool... my kinda family!

More gorgeous jewellery.  


 Cathryns parents have an amazing view from their house.. stunning!

 I love how everywhere I go seems to have a dictionary.  I do love dictionarys.  I guess I'm a bit nerdy.  And cheesy.  But hey, I can't help it!

I LOVE this shot... I love how the bridesmaids are looking at her... "shit just got real!"  Love how Dad is quietly observing in the background..

His gorgeous girl..


Love this shot of Cathryn too.  In her childhood home.. which she now lives next door to!

This is Ben, Cathryn's little nephew Ben.  He is Nicky's son - he is the sweetest little soul.  I have photographed him and his brother a couple of times now and I love them!

The handsome Des, admiring is GORGEOUS bride.  I told him when I arrived at the ceremony location that he was in for a real treat... took him a few minutes to click... but when she arrived he couldn't take his eyes (or his hands!) off her.  Yep, I think that's a win!





One very cool bridal party too - I love a bridal party that is really INTO the wedding.  I know that sounds silly, but these guys were full of fun and laughter and were really there to support their friends in any way they could.  


Des had a pretty handsome bunch of troops too.  And he was worried about how he'd look in the photos.  Hello Des!  You did amazing!


I'm really quite jealous of Cathryns "girls".  I don't have a group of girls... I'm usually the girl amongst the guys yacking about cars or on my own in the car torturing nobody with my terrible singing! I'm a bit of a loner.  But sometimes I would just quite like a group of girls to laugh and giggle with about anything or nothing!  They made great bridesmaids too!


 Cathryn!  You are stunning!  Too bad if you didn't want everyone looking at you on the day - they couldn't stop looking!
Sigh.  More gorgeous!
 
 Silverstream Retreat is a funny place.  Half of it is beautifully renovated with river stones, fresh paint and planted courtyards.  The rest is run down, rustic and awaiting a rebuild!  I love it!  I was sure to check that Cathryn & Des liked the run-down-rustic look, or I might have been in trouble!  I think they totally rocked it.


I'm not sure what Cathryn was actually doing here, but I love it!  She looks like she was just going to grab hold of Des and do all sorts of wonderful things to him!
 And she did!

Right on the edge of the cliff, there was some greenery.  Thought I better balance things out with a bit of nature!  And the flowers really popped out amongst all the green. So beautiful.


 Ahhh love.  LOVE.


How cool are these!!!  Congratulations Cathryn & Des.  Thank you Cathryn and your parents and family for being so welcoming and trusting, and accomodating a few strange requests!  Thank you to Des for being a superstar in front of the camera!  And thankyou to you both for just being an awesome couple.  Can't wait to show you the rest!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

About Me

I'm an NZIPP qualified Wellington based Wedding & Portrait Photographer. I live with my husband, 2 kids, 3 cats and 2 dogs. And some fish. And a rat. I have a home studio, and a backyard that most people never want to leave. I'm fun, lighthearted and I love to chat... you'll be giggling and smiling before you know it. Even if it is at my dumb jokes! Need some new photos? Drop me a line and I'll hook you up (haha, there goes the first dumb joke!)